We are pleased to offer you a complimentary copy of our autumn newsletter.
Due to the general election, the government is still grappling with the legislative implications of having to curtail its Budget plans and we will have to wait until the Chancellor’s first Autumn Budget later in the year to find out what lies in store. In the meantime, we focus on developments in personal and business planning which go on as usual.
The topics covered in this issue include:
- Tax-free childcare: how does it work? The new tax-free childcare scheme started in April. It should benefit eligible parents and help balance the difficult work-childcare commitments so many face.
- Defining employment in the gig economy Continuing controversy around the gig economy and flexible contracts has led the government to commission a review of modern employment practices which may redefine some categories of workers.
- Who’s in significant control? All unlisted UK companies must keep a register of people with significant control (PSCs) in their companies and now some listed and unregistered companies have been added to the PSC regime.
- It can hurt at the margin When tax reliefs are withdrawn or taper away, you may find yourself with a surprisingly high and painful marginal tax rate, so it’s worth understanding your situation.
- VAT flat rate – is it still worth it? Changes to the VAT flat rate scheme mean some small businesses should reassess whether to be in the scheme.
- Preventing guilt by association From 30 September, the new Criminal Finances Act 2017 comes into force which means some businesses providing advice to clients could be found guilty of facilitating tax evasion by others.
We hope you enjoy reading the newsletter. Please get in touch if you need help or advice on any of the topics covered.